Mussel and Chorizo Soup
Mussel and Chorizo SoupRecipe by Steve Corry, photo by John Kernick Serves 8 people
INGREDIENTS:1/2 cup dry white wine 1 tbsp. finely minced shallots 3 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil 5 oz dry chorizo, finely diced 2 medium carrots, finely diced 2 medium leeks, white and tender green parts only, finely diced 1 small onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, minced 1 large plum tomato, finely diced 1/3 tsp. low-sodium fish stock or chicken broth 1/2 cup heavy cream salt and freshly ground white pepper 1 tsp. chopped thyme
- In a large, heavy pot, bring the wine with the shallots to a boil. Add the mussels, cover and cook over high heat until they open, about 5 minutes.
- Strain the cooking liquid into a bowl and reserve. Remove the mussels from their shells.
- In the pot, heat the olive oil. Add the chorizo, carrots, leeks, and onion; cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softtened, about 8 minutes. Spoon off some of the fat.
- Add the garlic, diced tomato and saffrom and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the fish stock and reserved mussel liquid and bring to boil.
- Simmer for 30 minutes over low heat.
- Add the cream and simmer for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the mussels and the thyme and simmer until the mussels are heated through.
- Serve the soup hot.