Poached Pacific Halibut
Poached Pacific Halibut, Sweet and Sour Golden and Red Beets, Citrus and Extra Virgin Olive Oil EmulsionRecipe and photo by Eric Ripert Serves 4 people
INGREDIENTS:Poached Pacific Halibut: 4 Pacific Halibut filets, 7-9 oz each 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice 1 tbsp chiffonade of fresh basil
Citrus and Extra Virgin Olive Oil Emulsion: Zest of 1 orange Zest of 1 lemon 1/2 star anise 1 tomato, cored and chopped 1 1/2 cups olive oil 1/4 cup lemon oil 3/4 cup fresh orange juice 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice 2 tbsp. ponzu 1 tsp. minced shallot Fine sea salt and freshly gound white pepper Espelette pepper to taste
Sweet and Sour Golden and Red Beets: 2-3 golden beets 2-3 red beets 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- The marinade oil, which will be the base for the citrus and extra virgin olive oil emulsion, needs to be made two days in advance. Crush the orange zest, lemon zest, star anise and tomato. Add the oils. Season well with salt and cover with plastic wrap; let sit for two days under refrigeration. After two days, warm the marinade oil and strain through a chinois. Reserve the oil and throw the aromatics away.
- Cook the beets, red and yellow in separate pots, in salted water with 1/4 cup red wine vinegar added to each pot. When the beets are tender, remove them from the water and let them cool.
- Peel the beets and cut them horizontally into 1/8-inch slices. Each serving will receive three yellow beet slices and three red beet slices. Portion the beets onto a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Make the citrus and extra virgin olive emulsion just before poaching the halibut. Combine the orange juice, lemon juice, ponzu and shallots; bring to a simmer. Emulsify in one cup of the marinade oil with a whisk; season to taste with salt, white pepper and Espelette pepper.
- When ready to serve, bring a shallow pot of water (big enough to hold the four halibut fillets) and the lemon juice to a boil. Season with salt and reduce the heat so the water is just under a simmer. Season the halibut on all sides with salt and pepper. Place the halibut in the water and poach the fish until it is just warm in the center.
- While the fish is poaching, season the beets and reheat them in a microwave or oven until they are warm. Drizzle 1/2 tablespoon of the marinade oil over each portion of beets.
- Remove the halibut from the poaching liquid and drain each fillet on a towel.
- Arrange the beets in a circle in the center of each entrée plate. Place the halibut on the beets. Garnish the top of each halibut with 1/2 tablespoon of basil chiffonade.
- Serve the warm emulsion in a sauceboat on the side.