Spicy and Savory Mussel Dish
Spicy and Savory Mussel DishBy Louis Weil Serves 4 people
INGREDIENTS:3 lbs. mussels, debearded and scrubbed 1 cup white wine 1/2 cup vermouth 3 shallots, chopped fine 1 tbsp. olive oil 1 tbsp. garlic, minced 1 tbsp. spicy mustard 1/2 tbsp. mustard powder 1 tsp. horseradish salt and pepper to taste 1 lb. french fries, baked or fried
- Fry or bake french fries and set aside.
- Place chopped shallots and garlic in large Dutch oven with olive oil. Cook for a few minutes until translucent.
- Combine the wine, vermouth, mustard, mustard powder, and horseradish in the pan and stir to mix well.
- Add all of the mussels and place lid securely on top.
- After 4-5 minutes check the mussels to see if they have all opened, discard those that remain closed.
- Plate the mussels and sauce on top of the french fries.
Photo by Sarah Ackerman via Flickr, Creative Commons License