Striped Bass with Moroccan Chickpea Salad
Striped Bass with Moroccan Chickpea SaladBy Ted and Cindy Walter Serves 6 People
INGREDIENTS:Charmoula: 1 tbsp. fennel seeds 2 tsp. coarsely chopped fresh rosemary 1 tsp. cumin seeds 1 tsp. dried crushed red pepper 1 tsp. whole white pepper corns 1 cup coarsely chopped Italian parsley leaves 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves 1 cup chopped fresh mint 1/4 cup lemon juice 3 cloves garlic 1 cup olive oil 6 6 oz. striped bass fillets
Moroccan Salad: 2 large red bell peppers 2 pita flatbread 1 15 1/2 oz. can chickpeas, drained 1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped 1/4 cup raisins 2 tbsp. drained capers 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Combine fennel seeds through pepper corns in spice grinder and grind until finely ground. Transfer to blender. Add parsley and next four ingredients.
- With blender running, gradually add olive oil and blend until forming a coarse puree. Season with salt.
- Plate fish on plate and pour 3/4 cup charmoula over fish, turning to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate remaining charmoula.
- Char bell peppers until blackened on all sides.
- Transfer to paper bag and seal. Let stand for 15 minutes. Peel, seed and chop peppers.
- Toast pita over flame until crisp. Tear into bite sized pieces.
- Preheat oven to 400. Place peppers, bread, chickpeas, walnuts, raisins, capers and olive oil in large bowl. Add 3/4 cup charmoula and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add fish with marinade, and cook 3 minutes on each side. Transfer skillet to oven and roast fish 8 minutes.
- Place salad on plate and top with bass fillets.
Photo by Paul Keller, via Flickr, Creative Commons License