The coal Americans burned to create electricity in 2010 released about 6.2 million tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. That’s the weight of the entire Golden Gate Bridge stacked up 15 times.
You can burn less coal if you:
- Turn off the lights when you are not in the room. Turn off appliances you are not using.
- Shut the doors and windows if you have the A/C or heater on.
- Put energy efficient light bulbs in your house.
- Wash clothes on warm, not hot, and air-dry them when possible.
- Take shorter showers (it takes a lot of energy to heat water).
- Get solar panels for your house.